Kim Carroll is a perfect example of a multi-tasking teacherpreneur. Find out how she juggles teaching, training and managing two businesses and why she is writing a workbook for teachers moving overseas that focuses on intercultural transition.
1. Thanks for taking time out of your busy day for this interview. Can you start off by telling us where you teach?
I currently run an ESL teacher training company called English for Life Academy www.english-forlife.com and an intercultural training company called Catalyst Intercultural www.catalystintercultural.com in the U.S.
Among many other jobs, my teaching load includes:
2. How long have you been teaching?
I began teaching ESL in 1999.
3. Can you describe a typical teaching day?
Not really, there are no typical days, it seems! :-) I own English for Life, and co-own Catalyst Intercultural, so there are lots of non-teaching related tasks. But in a typical day I “run” the business during regular office hours, and teach private students, coaching clients, and TESOL courses in the evenings 2 or 3 nights per week. (And don’t think I work 8-5. I probably average a 6-hr workday + teaching 1-2 hours.)
4. Teacher self-care is so important. How do you relax?
Reading, hiking, biking, cooking, travelling whenever I can, and playing music with friends.
5. You took on the tremendous task of starting two companies - English for Life Academy and Catalyst Intercultural. Can you talk a bit about these companies?
Sure. English for Life (EFL) offers training for people who want to be English teachers, usually overseas. We are excited to offer our first fully online course, How To Teach English Online.
Catalyst Intercultural was born because we were actually doing intercultural training all the time through EFL with word-of-mouth business, but there wasn’t a way to market it that made sense. So I teamed up with an intercultural communications specialist and we opened a second business so that we could do more of this.
6. How long did it take you to set this up?
Haha, is it ever done?!? Creating the TESOL program took about a year of research and development. Catalyst took about the amount same.
7. Where can people purchase your courses?
For a hybrid 100-hour TESOL Certificate course (or just a FREE toolkit about teaching English overseas) you can go to www.english-forlife.com
If you want to know more about how to teach English online, go to http://efllearningcenter.com/wp/teach-english-online
For intercultural training, check out www.catalystintercultural.com
8. Are you working on any other projects at the moment?
9. What skills did you gain from classroom teaching that have allowed you to excel as a teacherpreneur?
So many things! But one of the most important to me was the ability to have a plan and be flexible at the same time. When you’re running a business, you have to have goals and a plan on how to get there, but you also have to be able to go with the flow and adjust as needed. Teachers have constant practice with that!
10. What advice would you give to teachers who are considering transitioning to teacherpreneurs?
So many teachers I work with think of themselves only as classroom teachers. But there are SO MANY SKILLS that teachers have that are valuable in other settings. If you have an idea about a business, a book, or a course, there is no reason you can’t do it and be successful at it.
Thanks so much Kim.
Interested in learning more about transitioning from a teacher to teacherpreneur but don’t know how to get started? Here are some ways:
1. Read more than 85+ inspiring teacherpreneur interviews at www.teacherpreneur.ca/blog
2. Download The Essential Teacher to Teacherpreneur Toolkit - 50 pages packed with information to get you started as a teacherpreneur at http://www.teacherpreneur.ca
3. Download 10 Tips to Transition from Teacher to Teacherpreneur https://www.teacherpreneur.ca/p/10-tips-to-transition-from-teacher-to-teachepreneur
4. Download The Social Media Make-over Checklist for Teacherpreneurs at www.teacherpreneur.ca
5. Connect with other teacherpreneurs by joining my LinkedIn group https://www.linkedin.com/groups/7060976
6. Set up a private coaching call with me https://www.teacherpreneur.ca/pages/book-a-coaching-session-with-me
Connect with me on social media. Teacherpreneurs must be on social media.
My name is Patrice Palmer, M.Ed., M.A., CPP. I have more than 20 years’ experience as an ESL Teacher, TESL Trainer, and Writer. I spent seven amazing years teaching in Hong Kong and have taught students from 8 to 80 years in a variety of programs. I now work as a teacherpreneur doing the things that I love such as writing books, courses and teaching materials; coaching teacherpreneurs, travelling at any time of the year and applying the science of positive psychology to all my work (www.patricepalmer.ca). Contact me at [email protected]
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.