Adra Young is a compassionate educator, trainer and author who devotes her time working with youth tackling tough topics such as race, anti-bullying, suicide prevention and reducing school suspensions. Read more about Adra's important work and how she finds clients to share her important work.
1. Can you tell us where you teach and how long have you been teaching?
I’m currently certified to teach in the State of Indiana, USA however I'm not teaching full time at the moment. I have taught youngsters from 1995-2016 for the Detroit Public School System. I worked at the Detroit Impact Center as a Social Skills provider where I pinpointed the lack of resources available for both middle and high school students so I created a curriculum that addressed the concerns of youngsters facing overwhelming social dynamics. I'm happy to report that this program was utilized in several Detroit Schools. During that time, I also served as a liaison for the "Conversation About Race" project and became certified in Suicide Intervention.
2. Can you describe a typical day?
I am a Character Development Provider where I work with young people providing the following: Anti-Bully Training, Empathetic Practices, and School Suspension Reduction.
3. What do you do in your spare time to relax?
I love to read, eat, and connect with likeminded positive individuals.
4. You took on the tremendous task of writing a book/resources/starting a company. Can you talk a bit about it?
Absolutely, my third book, The Misfits is based on the middle school bullying epidemic and was released in March 2017. In addition, my company Ardannyl was re-launched in the state of Indiana in April 2017. The mission of Ardannyl is simply to put youngsters back on track through encouragement and guidance.
5. Can you tell us how you find clients?
I find clients by making appointments with school administrators or youth affiliated organizations. I simply ask if my services and or products could be utilized.
6. Where can teachers and students purchase your books and resources?
My books and resources may be purchased on my website at www.ardannyl.com
7. Do you have any plans for other books?
Yes, my fourth book The Misfits Part II will be released in 2019. It is a continuation of my Anti-Bully book The Misfits which was released in bounded version March 2017.
8. Are you working on any other projects at the moment?
9. Where can we find you on social media?
10. What skills did you gain from classroom teaching that have allowed you to excel as a teacherpreneur?
I would have to say that is was learning how to be patient. Being a teacherpreneur requires a lot of patience, planning, and time.
11. What have you had to do outside of your comfort zone as a teacherpreneur?
I learned how to step out in faith and simply trying. I’ve become more confident in talking with people. I’m still trying to master the concept of utilizing social media.
12. I talk to many teachers about their fear or doubt in trying something new or "putting themselves out there". What advice would you give to these teachers?
My words of advice for teachers wanting to try something new is to simply do it. If you need knowledge of whatever it is you’d like to pursue, try watching YouTube Tutorials, attend free or low-cost introductory business courses. Last but not least, the answer will always be no if you never ask.
Thank you so much, Adra. I know you are a beacon of light for many youth. Best of luck with your current and future projects and books.
Interested in learning more about transitioning from a teacher to teacherpreneur but don’t know how to get started? Here are some ways:
1. Read more than 60 inspiring teacherpreneur interviews at www.teacherpreneur.ca/blog
2. Download The Essential Teacher to Teacherpreneur Toolkit - 50 pages packed with information to get you started as a teacherpreneur at http://www.teacherpreneur.ca
3. Download 10 Tips to Transition from Teacher to Teacherpreneur https://www.teacherpreneur.ca/p/10-tips-to-transition-from-teacher-to-teachepreneur
4. Download The Social Media Make-over Checklist for Teacherpreneurs at www.teacherpreneur.ca
5. Connect with other teacherpreneurs by joining my LinkedIn group https://www.linkedin.com/groups/7060976
6. Set up a private coaching call with me https://www.teacherpreneur.ca/pages/book-a-coaching-session-with-me
Connect with me on social media. Teacherpreneurs must be on social media.
My name is Patrice Palmer, M.Ed., M.A. I have more than 20 years’ experience as an ESL Teacher, TESL Trainer, and Writer. I spent seven amazing years teaching in Hong Kong. I have taught students from 8 to 80 years in a variety of programs but now work as a teacherpreneur doing the things that I love such as writing books, courses and teaching materials; coaching teacherpreneurs and travelling at any time of the year and applying for science of positive psychology to all my work. Contact me at [email protected]
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.